Saturday, June 26, 2010

Rachel Legan's "The Last Word" in today's BakersfieldLife magazine inside today's Bakersfield Californian newspaper..

Full text of the article is written below:


RACHEL LEGAN

Occupation:Morning radio personality AKA Smart alec

Best part of my job: Every part. There is not a day that goes by that I am not eternally grateful to have been on 101.5 KGFM my entire adult life.I realize I am only 21,so that isn’t very long but very exciting! I’m kidding of course.Legal restrictions aside, I can’t think of another job that would allow me as much freedom to just be myself.Having my younger brother Dustin as my co-host is also fun.We can air our arguments on air and let the listener decide who is right (and when I win everyone gets valuable cash and prizes!)

Best piece of advice some has given me: There are two pieces of advice I will never forget. The first one is; “If you don’t know what to do,don’t do anything at all” .The reality is we actually do know what to do most of the time.Instinct should set the stage,just proceed with caution.My all time favorite advice however was given to me via my best gal Oprah,maybe you’ve heard of her? Poet Maya Angelou was on her show one day and said “When someone shows you who they are believe them........ the first time”. That statement has been very useful to me. Even when I ignore it I end up learning from it.

My all-time fav Missed Connection story : There isn’t a story that stands out as much as the descriptions people have for eachother and what they are doing when they failed to catch the attention of a potential future spouse. I have learned that birth control can be described as “baby blockers”. I believe the missed encounter went something like “You was buyin’ sum baby blockers when we caught eyes pumpin’ fuel”. It’s also fun to read them aloud as they are written.One man discussing a local mother’s recent plastic surgery wrote “ Yowza! I knew them kid feeders under your sweeter was knew cuz I seen you before and you is way more smiking hot nowdays”. It hurts just to read that sentence but it is hilarious on the air. Thursdays at 7:50am by the way..

What’s on your iPod (name five songs and why you love them): I actually do not own an ipod.If I did you might be surprised at my taste in music.It is all over the place! Right now I would have my man Dave Matthews singing his songs “Bartender” and “#27” live at Radio City music hall.Love the passion in those songs and the special relationships I have that the lyrics bring out full force.I’m also really loving Eminem’s “Airplanes” and “I’m not afraid”. As odd as it sounds,I relate to alot of Eminem’s lyrics because of similarities in our childhood.Finally I could never go anywhere without Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams”. Again,just love the lyrics.

Something very few people know about me: If it’s something embarassing or interesting it goes on the air.Our life experiences make our radio show.So I’m an open book.I will tell you that for someone whose job it is to speak,when the job is done I want nothing more than to be silent.This has made me incredibly quick texter.I will choose texting or emailing over a phone conversation nine out of ten times.

When I want to relax,
I layout in the pool of my recently rented home and read.Sometimes I’m reading Facebook messages on my phone,sometimes it’s the Bakersfield Californian and sometimes it’s a book.I always have some sort of reading material within arms length.

Three things that define Bakersfield to you: It is the only place I have ever lived so the first thing is “Home”. Secondly I’d say “Unique”. We really do have a little bit of everything and our residents defend our love for this city anytime someone tries to knock it down.Obviously they aren’t educated enough to know how tough we are.Finally, the thing I have always noticed is our sense of “Community”.Not only do residents here always come to the aid of others in need but we all seem to know eachother.I don’t mean personally but if you’re familiar with the theory of six degrees of separation I think there are only 2 degrees in Bakersfield.

Place you could be found having lunch on the weekend: Here’s that thing no one knows! I cringe when asked to meet for “lunch”. Since I have been up at 2:30am for the last 18 years or so my schedule is not like the 9-5 crowd. My meal clock is different from nearly everyone else.I avoid lunch meetings and gatherings as much as possible and instead opt for an early dinner.Even on weekends when my husband and step daughter are home,they know that it’s the one meal I usually eat at the kitchen counter.Not very glamorous but it works for me!